Monday, March 28, 2011

Running on Faith

When I injured my knee three weeks before the Gate River Run, I spent a lot of time asking God for ONE thing - let me run the River Run. That was all I wanted - period. And if anyone asked what I wanted for my birthday, which was the same weekend as the Gate, I said I wanted to run. I asked my family to pray for me and I asked my "angel" Karen, to pray for me. I call her my angel because her prayers really do get answered and she's always taking care of me. I've never seen anything like it.
I'm not an outwardly religious person. I'm Catholic and we're not the preachy type. Besides Karen, I never really talk about religion or God with anyone outside of my family. I'm a C&E Catholic these days - only attending church on Christmas and Easter. But that doesn't mean I'm not a believer. I talk to God a lot, especially since I started running more. Being out in His beautiful world is quite extraordinary. I spend a lot of time thanking Him. Even if something hasn't happened yet, I thank Him. My mom taught me that a long time ago. Just believe.
So I believed. I had faith. I kept an eye & ear out for signs. I got them.
I ran with my phone because I use it to map my runs but also, on that day, race day, in case something happened and I couldn't go on. I wasn't taking any foolish chances - but I still believed I could do it. My final sign came right before the race was to begin - Karen sent me a text that she had just prayed for me. I knew then I was going to be ok, no matter what.
I ran on faith - and I ran like I've never run before. Yes, there was some pain but nothing to stop for. Once I reached the Hart Bridge I felt like I could fly! And for the first time in any race (this is my longest so far) I sprinted to the finish without any strain. I felt amazing!
Today I got the results of the MRI on my knee - totally clear. Obviously I couldn't have run if it wasn't. I told my parents that I think I pounded my knee back together running the Gate. I'm still waiting on my foot to feel better, which I strained a few days AFTER the River Run. I haven't been able to run for the last two weeks. But the doctor seems to think a little bit longer and I'll be fine. So I'm waiting (im)patiently one more week and then I'll try again.
But I have faith, it will heal soon and I will be stronger and better for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment