Thursday, September 1, 2011

Boxes

So I haven't been sleeping much. It's been an interesting few weeks. Life has been hectic and constantly in an uproar (it seems). I know, I know - my problems are small compared to so many others. Believe me, I get that. But as you all know, no matter how small your problem may seem to others, it can be as giant as a t-rex to you.
School is back in session. I don't have my own children, but I am a teacher. So this time of year throws me into a tizzy. This year in particular has been a challenging one. Some - ok, most - may say I've been the "pet" for long enough! I have had great classes, full of wonderful children and fabulous parents. I have had one of the largest classrooms in my school for almost 10 years. I have been able to spoil my students with special treats and trips. Well, with the exception of being "allowed" to have my fantastic class come up with me to 5th grade for one more year together, everything else has come to a screeching halt. The school year is two weeks in and things are still in chaos mode around me. In the classroom, with our door shut, we try to keep the chaos monster out. I'm so thankful for my children. They are really a joy to teach. If only I could just teach them and not have to deal with all of the "other" stuff.
I haven't been keeping up with my regular workouts either. My training has been scattered at best. Thank goodness for my running buddies who keep me accountable! Training groups on Saturday mornings and Tuesday evenings are about the only thing I'm keeping regular. Running is my sanity. It keeps me straight. I need to get back in to my routine. Today marks 30 days till my first ever half marathon! The furthest I've ever run was 10 1/2 miles and that was back in February! We have an 8 mile run Saturday morning. Thank goodness!! I'm gonna need it!
All of this "trouble" has left me lying awake at night, brain swirling or waking up at 3am, brain wide awake. So I tried something new a couple of weeks ago. I packed it all up in neat little boxes and passed them off to God. I stacked them in a cool little tower right in his hands. And then I said good night. There is a quote in my little page-a-day calendar I've had for years that says "As children bring their broken toys, with tears for us to mend, I brought my broken dreams to God, because he was my friend. At last I snatched them back and cried, 'How can you be so slow?' 'My child,' He said, 'What could I do? You never did let go.'" I thought maybe if I packed them up mentally and passed them off to God, really let them go, that maybe, just maybe, I could get some sleep.
There's another quote that says "Give your troubles to God; He will be up all night anyway." So I did. And it worked! I mean, it really did! I slept! I've done this three times now, the most recent being last night. I find it quite amazing. Desperate times call for desperate measures, right? Or should this even be called desperate? Maybe if we all just "let go" a little more often, we'd sleep better. Live better.
So next time you're lying awake at night tossing and turning with your "troubles", pack them up in some boxes and give them to God. Stack them in a really cool tower while your at it. He's gonna be up all night anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment