Saturday, September 24, 2011

Ready to Run Disney

One week out and I am really getting excited! The Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon is next Saturday! I feel ready to tackle this new longer distance. My Galloway training group, the Lost Soles, ran 10 miles last weekend and although I was tired immediately after, I felt great the next day. One of my running buddies said I would have no problem doing the Half after that - it was only one more 5k! Um, ok.
When I decided to run this race, I had one goal - complete a half marathon. I was thinking of training for a full marathon as well but scared of the LONG distance. And here I am, training for a full marathon and running three halves this Fall! Crazy? Obsessed? Yes, but also incredibly happy and excited!!
I'm one who has to run with music. I have many playlists based on mileage, training, races - it's all about inspiration for me - getting me thru to the end. I keep the music low enough to chat but there isn't always someone to talk with and what if I get dropped? Or if I suddenly need to fly? I need my music! So, of course, I have to have a playlist for Disney. I thought, can I really create one with nothing but Disney songs? I started researching. I love Google! And that's when I found Run, Karla, Run! She had a Disney playlist - and it was old school too! Yea!
So I took her list and then started to build on to that with my own. We Disney people have our own special songs and memories from the parks. I mean, I've been going there since I was 6 months old! I practically spent every weekend playing in the parks in high school. (Dad worked for Disney!)  I worked at Hollywood Studios in college, so I had to include songs from Aladdin! Everyday for the three o'clock parade, Prince Ali would play as the spitting camel float rolled by my store, Mickey's of Hollywood.
Of course there are a few songs from Cinderella, and I have a few songs from Lion King for when I run through Animal Kingdom. I included the song that plays in the entrance of EPCOT for when I get close to the finish. My one non-Disney song is an Aerosmith number that will hopefully play right about the time I'm running by the Rockin' Rollercoaster! Yea, I am actually trying to time the music to my pace so certain songs play at certain parts. Lots of math involved! It will be pretty cool if it works!
I know one thing for sure, this will be the funnest race I've run so far! I signed up months ago. I had no plans to meet or run with anyone. Now, one week away, I have so many people I can't wait to see, run in to or even meet for the first time! The fun of finding and following other Disney running geeks like me on Twitter! And even some of us from the Galloway group will be there, including my pace group leader! (Come see us at the 26.2 with Donna booth at the Expo!) I'm running my own race but I'm going to have lots of friends around!
Gotta go finish organizing my playlist!!

No comments:

Post a Comment