Monday, October 3, 2011

The Day before the Night

Prepping for a night race is totally different than prepping for a morning one. I'm definitely calling this one an all out experiment, since I wasn't totally sure what I was doing. I've read blogs and articles, listened to a nutritionist, and even consulted Jeff Galloway. But what my body (and brain) do on race day is only now coming to light.

I'd say one of the hardest things is waiting. I was so excited I could hardly stand it! I had never run this far before. I knew I was ready so I just wanted to get out there and prove it! Especially in the morning when the weather in Orlando was perfect for running! A cold front came in so it was sunny but cool with barely, if any, humidity.

But I waited. And waited. And waited.

So I went to breakfast at Perkins and ordered a nice real breakfast! Scrambled eggs with cheese, hash browns, a biscuit and 2 slices of bacon. I figured two slices won't kill me, right? And of course, coffee!
 I entertained myself for a little while driving around my old haunts. I grew up in Orlando - even though that was almost 20 years ago! Geesh, I'm old! It was fun to go see my old house and my high school, which now sits in the shadow of Hogwarts Castle. Somehow that just fits. Then off to the Disney Village Marketplace. It was walking distance from my hotel so I parked the car and enjoyed the lovely weather. I visited all my favorite spots and walked all around. My legs were a little tired and I needed a snack so I got a pretzel (carbs + salt) and a Powerade. Perfect!

  I came back to the hotel and lounged by the pool to rest for a bit. My room is right off the pool. I could not have asked for a better location! It will make sneaking out to soak my legs tonight that much easier!! After relaxing by the pool for a bit, I got cleaned up to head out to my early dinner. I was settled on Italian for sure and thinking I would probably have pizza. I always have pizza the night before my morning races - why should this be any different. It was only 5pm. I still had five hours before race time.
I arrived at Portobello's at Downtown Disney and sat at the bar. This was my first visit to the restaurant. It was lovely inside. Family style seating and lots of warm wood. The bar was beautiful and the bartenders were very friendly. I ordered a Diet Coke & water - I needed caffeine to perk me up. I decided on the Margherita pizza and it was the perfect choice! It was about ten inches across with a thin, brick oven baked crust. The sauce was light, the mozzarella melted all over and strips of fresh basil were scattered across the top. Before my meal, they also brought out warm rolls with a whole roasted garlic bulb! The look on my face must've clearly communicated that I was unsure what to do with this little gem! The bartender proceeded to tell me that I should pop out one of the cloves and spread it on the bread like butter. Ok. It was different but of course wonderful! I'll be safe from vampires tonight!!
      
After my lovely pre-race meal, I went back to the hotel to REALLY get ready. Time to pack my bag for before and after and get dressed. I bought a new outfit from Heather at the Running Skirts booth at the Expo! I was really excited to wear it! They say you shouldn't run in an outfit you haven't trained in but it's not like I was putting on a snow suit! So it's off to the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment