Saturday, February 25, 2012

Still recovering?!?

So it has been almost two weeks since my first marathon - and I still feel as if I am in recovery mode! Why? Maybe it was the freezing cold (literally) temps that Sunday morning on February 12th here in Jacksonville? Or maybe this is just what happens? I don't really know. I'm new to this! I know I didn't remove any of my layers - hat, ear wrap, 2 pairs of gloves, tights, RunningSkirt, tank and long sleeve top - until about mile 19. And I only took off one pair of gloves and my hat!
ALL my layers!
No hat, one pair of gloves to finish!



















When I finished the race, my throat felt sore and my hands were swollen big time! I had never experienced that before! Not even on my 26 mile training run. Very weird! I was obviously very tired but that was to be expected. The next day, however, I felt like I had a cold or the flu or something!
For the next week I would battle the sniffles, sneezing, coughing, and insomnia! Fun! I thought I had it kicked pretty well 8 days in only to wake up on the 9th day feeling even worse! I finally went to the doctor and she put me on antibiotics and cough meds. I think I'm starting to feel the effects two days into this.
I haven't run in four days. I missed my last group run with my Galloway training group today. It has me really bummed. I'm reading all of the blogs and tweets about the Princess Half this weekend at Disney and I want to be there! When I can't run, I really miss it!
I'm wondering what other people go through with marathon recovery. I know I'm not the only one! I have noticed that my immunity always takes a hit after 20+ mile runs. I really want to know how to avoid this in the future! Any hints and tips out there in the distance running world? Would love to hear! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment