Monday, July 9, 2012

Don't Throw That Away!

     You never know when you might need it! I thought it was silly to have all these "lighter" dumbells and exercise bands sitting around... Boy was I wrong!
     Today was the first day in two months that I was able to do my regular upper body workout with weights. I injured my shoulder a few months ago by overextending (I think) during my workouts. I've been going to physical therapy for the last five weeks. I've been working on my exercises and working on keeping my wings back! My physical therapist told me my shoulder blades were too far forward or what they call "winged." I told her maybe I was part Tinkerbell! So from then on I started saying to myself, "Wings back!" It is a helpful reminder to sit up straight & not slouch!
     I've never used terribly heavy weights, my maximum so far has been eight pounds. I did buy ten pound weights about three months ago but I haven't been able to use them yet. People laugh at me when I tell them how light the weights are but that's okay. When I'm working out with my weights, it gives me the definition I want. And that's all that really matters.
     So I have these dumbbells that only weigh two pounds each. I've had them for years and years! And I haven't used them in years and years either. I never got rid of them. I also have three pounders which I use for high reps and my five pounds which are used for most everything I do. Well, I used my two pounders a lot today. It felt silly but I have to build back up to where I was and I don't want to re-injure my shoulder! I used the threes where I would have used the fives in the past and only occasionally used the fives. I didn't go near the eight or ten pound weights today. I even used my exercise bands that were gathering dust. In the end, I felt good. I felt stronger.
     I hope to continue to build back up and will have to keep reminding myself to take it slow, be careful and Wings Back!
     You never know when that "smaller/lighter" equipment might come in handy! Don't throw it away!!!
While working out today, I looked out and saw "hope" on my racket - It made me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment