Sunday, July 15, 2012

My Marathon Year

As I enter week 52 of my training journal, I am beginning to reflect on the past year.
     The first week of my training journal included five different runs. It also included the very first Jeff Galloway marathon training for the National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer at the 26.2 with Donna headquarters. I had decided about two months prior that I was going to train for a marathon and that the marathon that I would train for would be Donna Deegan's 26.2 with Donna National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer. For me there was no greater cause! The fact that it was local meant a lot as well even though I do love to travel to my races!! I had decided to train for a marathon and I hadn't even run a half marathon yet! But I did have three on my schedule for the fall. Talk about thinking positive and expecting the best.
     The second week of marathon training brought on my first official Magic Mile which also happened to be on my dad's birthday! (My dad is an avid runner and was quite the racer in his younger days. I'm trying to get him back there again!!) My very first Magic Mile was an 8:16. When I got home, I proceeded to map out all of my times. How I should be training and what my race pace should be from 5K all the way to the marathon. The numbers were quite daunting!

   
     As I continued to look through my training journal, I noticed weeks where there was trouble getting a run or even a workout in! For example, the first week of pre-planning at school - getting back into that schedule, a brand-new classroom and setting things up - then the first week of school with the kids. Then the second week of school with the kids... What a mess! I missed a lot of time in training!! I won't do that this year.
     By week seven of my training journal, I was able to bring my Magic Mile time down a little bit to 8:09. This may not sound like much, but for me it was pretty big especially since I didn't even want to do that Magic Mile! I knew my training had been off. I think I whined the whole time I was warming up!  As the weeks ticked off, I quickly got closer to my very first half marathon - which had to be at the happiest place on Earth! Disney, of course!! My first half marathon was scheduled for October 1st,  Disney's Second Annual Wine and Dine Half Marathon! It takes place at night, which made for some interesting training and preparing since I wasn't really sure how to do a night run! I was so thankful to Eat, Sleep, Run Disney for her blog post about the Wine and Dine Half Marathon from the previous year. It gave me a lot of help as to what to expect! I sincerely hope my post from this year's Wine and Dine will help someone else who's considering doing it this year or may already be registered and they're not sure what to expect.
      During week fourteen of my training journal I hit 17 miles! 17 miles in ONE RUN! That's amazing! I can't believe I came so far so fast. At week fifteen, I was participating in the Savannah Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon and then at week seventeen I did the St. Pete Women's Half Marathon. The Friday after Thanksgiving and after my third half marathon, I ran a solo 20 mile training run. I used the run-walk-run method and my dad went with me by bike. I completed it. I did great. My pace was a little faster than I probably would've been had I been with my training group! Instead of being with them for the 20 mile run in Jacksonville, I was running the Women's Half Marathon in St. Pete!
     When I got home from Tampa after Thanksgiving, things started to change in my training dramatically. Somewhere around that 20 mile run, my foot had started hurting and therefore training declined as I tried to protect my foot and hope that it healed quickly. I hate seeing the big zeros across many of the days of my training journal where I did nothing - no weights, no Pilates, no yoga, no running, nothing!!

I really don't want to see this in this year's training journal!!!
     I went to the doctor and had MRIs taken and everything came back clean. So by December 17th I was running at the Baldwin Rail Trail with my group completing 23 miles!! I walked the last three because of my lack of training but I got it done! I never really recovered my full routine of cross training. Throughout the weeks, I became lazy and complacent with my training. Apparently, I thought just running would be enough. I was wrong. By the time the day for the marathon came, I was trained as far as running goes - I had completed a 26 mile training run - I was ready! But my body was not as strong as it could've been had I continued with my cross training. I finished the marathon but not the way I wanted to. I was 30 minutes slower than I had hoped and actually ended up walking a large part of the last few miles. You can read all about it in my marathon post from last February.
     Again there was a severe decline in training post-marathon. They say that there is a post-marathon depression/funk that some people slip into - I think I was there! I continued to run occasionally, maybe once a week, but there were weeks where there wasn't any running and there was certainly no cross training. By May, my running was becoming more regular. I was attempting my cross training routine again but then my shoulder started feeling really sore! I went to the doctor and she sent me to physical therapy!
     The Runner's World running streak that started on Memorial Day really got me back into where I needed to be with everything! I started running almost every day at least a mile. I stayed really consistent through June! As I worked on the physical therapy, I got stronger and was able to return to my cross training routine fully.  
     I'm back!! It's week 51 in my training journal, the end of my training year, and I'm back as a runner, as a Yogi, back to my weights & Pilates. I reached 700 total miles for the year last Friday! I'm ready for my new training year. I'm ready for this last week in my 2011-2012 training journal! On Monday, I will be attending the Disney Run Fest 2012, which a few of us Twitter folks have created all by ourselves! It's our own little random, last minute, why the heck not, let's do it, runDisney event!! What a way to end my training year!
 

And next Saturday, appropriately enough, will be my Magic Mile test for my (hopefully) group leader position with the Jacksonville Galloway training group for the 26.2 with Donna National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer. That's how much I love them and love this cause! I want to be a part of it again and I want to help other people get to where they need to be on marathon day.
     Here's to looking forward to a brand-new year! A brand-new, wonderful year. Things will be different this year. Things will be better. I'll make sure of that. That's the great thing about having a training journal - being able to look back and reflect.

Do you keep a training journal? You should!

10 comments:

  1. Marcia, this is awesome! 700 miles already this year! I feel like such a slacker...I got excited that I'm going to hit 100 this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now this is 700 from LAST July to now - not Jan-July! That would just be insane! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love how you recapped your year through your training journal! That's a great idea-- gives such great perspective on the ups and downs, and how much you accomplished (which was a lot!) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should try it! - It really is amazing to look back!

      Delete
  3. Congratulationns Marcia on the 52 week milestone! That's a lot of hard work and I know it gives you a lot of satisfaction. It's was great meeting you at the TMobile event tonight (make that last night).

    Hugs…Tracy @ Cotton Pickin Cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great meeting you too & thanks! Love your blog!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on already hitting 700 miles this year! An injury set me back earlier in the season and I am working back up in miles. I am also impressed that you are running full marathons. I am currently comfortable at the half marathon distance and nervous to take the plunge to the full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I've only run one - and it was TOUGH - not gonna lie! But I want to do it again! I LOVE long runs! I hate speed - so that's my goal this year! UGH! What's the farthest you have run? I also use the Galloway run-walk-run method which helps tremendously!!!

      Delete
  5. I am so excited to have found your blog through Foodie Pen Pals! I live in Orange Park. Can't wait to get to "know" you!

    ReplyDelete