Saturday, December 29, 2012

From my First Marathon to my Second...

     It's almost time for my second marathon, a little less that a year after my first. And what a year it's been! I have learned so much from my training for my first marathon that I applied to training for this one. I still made mistakes though...
     When you ask me about my first marathon, my first thoughts are not positive. It was a total disaster in my book. I had certain expectations from my training and those did not even remotely happen. When I look back at my training and my approach to race day, I see the mistakes. I slacked off in cross training about three months before the marathon. My running during the week also reduced. I trained with the local Galloway group so a month before we ran a 26 mile run. I didn't have any trouble with that run. I was able to run my 3/1 run/walk intervals the entire time. Yes, I was sore after but who wouldn't be?? I knew I could tackle the distance.
A few pages from my training journal before my first marathon - NOT good...
     Race day came and it was COLD - like below freezing cold! I planned to run with a 5 hour pace group. I started with them and it felt too fast. But I kept going. I didn't listen to my body. I was too worried about keeping up with the group. I was too worried about running with my friends instead of running alone. I'd never run a race with a pace group or with anyone! I had always just run my own race. By mile 13ish, I was done. I dropped back from my group. I was tired and I was hurting. Eventually I could no longer run at all and so I walked. For miles and miles I walked. I hated it! I was so upset with myself, but my legs would NOT let me run! As I came down the bridge - yes, we had a bridge the last 2 miles - and neared the finish line, I was somehow able to run the last 800 yards or so. I was so happy to be finished but so miserable with my performance.
Finally Finished!
     After the marathon I sank into a post-marathon depression for about a month. I didn't want to run or workout or do anything. I was sick for weeks after. I was a classic case right out of a Runner's World article. I finally started getting back into it by April - the marathon was in February! Jeff Galloway told us that no matter how you feel, register for your next marathon. As I looked forward, I knew I wanted my next marathon to be at Disney. As miserable as my first marathon was, I knew I wanted to try again. I have so many bucket list marathons that I would like to try. I just have to get used to them and, most important of all, train properly and listen to my body!
Walt Disney World Marathon Medal 2013
     So I am now 15 days from my second marathon - at Disney! It is the 20th anniversary of their marathon. The medal is beautiful! I am beyond excited! This will be my first DAY race at Disney! All of my other races, Wine & Dine Half, Everest & Tower of Terror 10miler, have been night races! I can't wait to see what it is like during the day. We will also get to run thru Magic Kingdom - and I think the castle - which I have never done before! I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it! I'm gonna be a mess when it actually happens!!!
A page from my training journal this year, even injured, I'm working hard!
     So how have I adjusted my training? Well, I kept up with my running during the week and continued to train with my Galloway group. I have continued my cross training and have even ramped it up as we get closer. The clincher? I'm injured - sort of, I think... I did a dumb thing. I let my ego get in the way of my smarts. I decided to run A WHOLE LOT in November. Like 100 miles. I had only 68 in October. Yep, DUMB! So after I PRed my last half marathon on December 2nd, I became unable to run. I tried but my shin hurt so bad I had to stop. I went to the doctor fearing the worst - a stress fracture - but he said it was just a shin splint and to rest for 3 weeks. I've been resting. It doesn't hurt at all anymore - it hasn't for about 2 weeks! But I will not test it until my 3 weeks is up - and even then, I think I'll start with an anti-gravity treadmill run.
     So how am I going to run a marathon in 15 days? Well, you see, I have this great group of friends that have been so supportive and have carried me thru this recovery that I know they will also carry me through this marathon. Just hopefully not literally! ;-) I feel so blessed to be able to run with so many wonderful people down at Disney! We have such a great group! Everyone is positive & uplifting and so fun to be around! We've got amazing plans already lined up and we are planning our pace and our intervals. Our goal is to have fun and enjoy the race. Not sure why you would run Disney just to run it and not play & enjoy it but some people do!
      I have been working really hard to keep my fitness up so I am ready! Sure, I got sad and bummed when I first got injured but then I went into FIGHT mode! I'm going to beat this and come back better & stronger! I've been swimming, biking and using the elliptical. I'm still doing "long" somethings on the weekends. Whether it be a long swim or a long, multiple machine cardio workout. I'm going to do this. I'm going to get that medal but most of all, I am going to have the funnest run of my life! 26.2 miles of smiles, giggles, pictures, silliness and an EPIC conga line across the finish! #CorralG you know who you are! I love you guys and I cannot wait to run with you in 15 days!
Not everyone will be there with me but many will be from this picture! <3

12 comments:

  1. I had such a terrible experience with my first full also! Hit the wall at mile 3, no crowd support and stopped at the bathroom 10 times, just to pee! We are going to rock 26.2! Rest will do your leg wonders I am sure! I always do better on fresh new legs! That's how I PRed womens half, with no NY my legs were ready to roll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait! See you soon! We are gonna have a blast at Disney!

      Delete
  2. Where did you get your training book from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the Runner's World Training Journal. I got it off Amazon. I have used it for 2 years now and really love it! I've looked at others but this one fits me. It has advice & great quotes on every page too!

      Delete
  3. I'm running the Disney Marathon too, we're coming all the way from the UK and I'll be running it on my 30th Birthday. How do you know what Corral you're in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Long way to travel! And Happy Birthday! Best way to celebrate!!! For your corral, go to the runDisney page and just above the waivers it has three links to click for corral info - you need to have your number off your waiver. Hope to see you down there! Follow me on Twitter and you'll find me!

      Delete
  4. Just found your blog! I am also a big Disney and RunDisney fan! I ran the Tower of Terror 10 back in September as my first Disney race. Despite not having a fairy tale ending, it solidified my love for RunDisney! I am running the Family Fun 5k on Friday, cheering on some friends in the Half on Saturday, and then my cousin is running her first full on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I'll be cheering on Saturday too and look for me in the full! I'll be the ONLY one in a Minnie outfit! No really!! ;-) Hope to meet up! Glad you found me! :)

      Delete
  5. you go girl :) I am really excited for you and can't wait to track your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jillian! One day we will meet up! Good luck in the Keys! I would love to do it one day - that is if you give it good reviews! It sounded like a blast last year! We gotta start thinking about Boulder don't we?!?

      Delete
  6. Well, I think that is a lesson learned. It is vital that we listen to our body, especially if it tells you to stop. There are certain limits and boundaries that we should not cross when we are doing strenuous activities. Pushing the limit might cause more damage and injury to your body. [Madalyn Oconnell]

    ReplyDelete