Thursday, December 20, 2012

Thankful Thursday

I decided today to do my first "Thankful Thursday" post and combine it with the "Three Things Thursday" idea as well! So here goes!
Three things I'm thankful for this Tuesday!

Music. I love music! Whenever I'm in a rotten mood or feeling sad, music can cheer me up. Music also helps me power through my workouts! Especially now when my mind might otherwise be feeling sorry for myself because I can't run, a good, strength-to-power-through-it song does wonders! Not only does the tune help keep me going but it is usually the words and message of a song that really make me like it. Most of these songs are about strength and taking care of yourself, not worrying what others may say or think. Some are just for fun to make me smile! Here are some of my favorites on my workout playlist right now!

- Boys In the Summer by Jessie James - just a little reminder of summer fun ;-)
- Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen  - yea, I know, but if the USA swim team used it...      
- Country Strong by Gwyneth Paltrow - a reminder to be strong, great movie too!      
- Dog Days Are Over by Florence + The Machine - always makes me smile, talks about running  even though I know my type of running is not what they mean....    
- Stronger by Mandisa - if you've never heard this one, it is worth a listen. I LOVE the message!     
- The Edge of Glory by Lady GaGa - this one always makes me think of running, especially since it was playing as I neared the finish line at Disney's Wine & Dine Half! Every run, every workout can bring you that much closer to the Edge of Glory! :-)   
- F**kin' Perfect by P!nk - I have the clean version and again this one has a great message! I love P!nk and think she has some great, real lyrics in her songs!
- Fighter by Christina Aguilera - this song is my all time favorite! It might be about a boy, but for me it's about all the things that try to keep me down - injury, time, person, attitude...    
- Firework by Katy Perry - she may be a little crazy, but this song has a great, positive "You are Amazing" message!     
- Wide Awake by Katy Perry - just a reminder to keep your eyes wide open & not get lost in what you think is a perfect, flawless anything - Stay smart! Falling from Cloud 9 can hurt! 
- One Thing by One Direction - Yea, the cheesy, adorable boy band of today - they make me smile and make me think I'm pretty special! ;-)
- What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger) by Kelly Clarkson - all of my workouts, my recovery from my injury, my swimming and biking instead of running, my waiting to run again...          
- Strip Me by Natasha Bedingfield - another good message - you can't take my voice!
- What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction - I know, I know - but sometimes it's nice to be told, even if it is in a song! ;-)
- Happy by Leona Lewis - My life mantra...If you've never really listened to the words, you should. We should all live this way! I swear she says "I've gotta find my pace" - runner's ears! :)
- Good Life by OneRepublic - yes, it really is!
- Stronger by Britney Spears - ranks up there with Fighter for power songs! Love this one!

Attitude. It's a powerful thing! When I first became injured, I sulked and whined. Totally normal. But then I went into fighter mode. I am thankful that my upbringing, my beliefs and my spirit allow me to pull myself out of a funk and fight! I will not just sit around, complaining that I can't run. I will find other ways to exercise my muscles and come back stronger and better. And that's exactly what I am doing - every day! There are plenty of people out there that are looking at me like I'm crazy when I say I'm going to run the Disney Marathon on January 13th, but I am going to do it and I will be strong enough to finish. I'm making sure of that and my body is happy and responding and feeling great! I'm not a helpless little creature and neither are you! So quit complaining, get out of your funk and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! 

My friends. I have the most supportive network of friends on the planet! And I am thankful for every one of them! My Twitter friends, some I've only met once, some I've never met, but they are there for me with words of encouragement and advice. My running buddies and training team members who cheer me on and miss me when I can't run with them. My IRL friends who listen and offer help - you know, like week long passes to a gym so I can keep swimming! (thanks, Lee) - are the greatest! I feel so blessed to have so much support all over the world really, thanks to Twitter! Pretty cool! And very uplifting!

So, there you have it. My three things I'm thankful for this Thursday. Really everyday though. Take time to count your blessings, it will make you so much happier than bemoaning your life! As my fabulous nutritionist and friend told me recently, "Your worst day could be somebodies best day." Thank you Marni. That is SO true!

2 comments: